Energy (300 Points)
The jurors will evaluate the team’s drawings, construction specifications and energy analysis documentation.
Examples to be considered:
- The use of unique approaches to solve engineering challenges
- The use of market-ready approaches
- The ability of house systems to enhance occupant comfort
- The effective use of house controls facilitating the reduction in energy consumption
- The ease of maintenance and owner operation
The following loads shall be used to replicate full-time occupancy of the house:
- Heat 8 gallons of water from ambient temperature to 110̊ F twice daily, throughout the competition.
- Refrigerator load shall hold the temperature between 34̊ and 40̊ F throughout the competition.
- Maintain the comfort level between 70̊ F and 78̊ F throughout the competition.
- Heat ½ gallon of water from ambient temperature to 212̊ F, once a day for each day of the competition.
- Freezer load shall hold the temperature between -20̊ F and -5̊ F throughout the competition.
- Three hours of laptop use each day.
- Two hours of TV/monitor use each day.
- Fully charge a depleted cell phone and tablet each day with a SMUD supplied simulated load.
- A minimum of 800 lumens of light each day at the work space and kitchen area each day.