Architecture (300 Points)
A jury of architects will assign an overall score for the design’s conceptual coherenceand implementation by reviewing the team’s drawings, construction specifications and architectural documentation and by performing an on-site evaluation of the Tiny House.
A professional cost estimator shall assign an estimated construction cost to each project based on the team’s document submittals and verified by on-site inspection. [learn_more caption=”More about Cost Criteria”] Full budget points are earned for meeting an estimated material and equipment cost of $25,000. Reduced points will be awarded for costs between $25,000 and $60,000 based upon a sliding scale. Costs need not reflect labor, trailer or transportation. All donated materials shall be listed in the budget with their fair market value.[/learn_more]
The Tiny House, built on a trailer must follow design constraints and siting criteria and provide at a minimum a living area, work space, kitchen, full bath and a sleeping area for up to two people.[learn_more caption=”More about Buildability Criteria”] • The Tiny House is designed and constructed in a way in which it is easily reproducible and available for future market production.
• The Tiny House has few construction complexities reducing the learning curve for mass-production.
• The Tiny House embodies low energy building components or uses prefabrication opportunities to reduce build time, ease of construction or reduction of costs.
• The drawings and construction specifications will enable a contractor to generate an accurate cost estimate and clearly represent the final, built product.
• The Tiny House is made of reliable and sturdy components and built to last.
• The Tiny House is constructed to weather the challenges of the environment of the target client.
• The Tiny House is constructed with the efficient use of materials.[/learn_more]
The Tiny House is functional, sensible and displays an appropriate use of space relative to the target client.[learn_more caption=”More about Functionality Criteria”] • The Tiny House is easily transportable with a low-carbon footprint.
• The Tiny House is easily setup at the competition and in the final location destination.
• The Tiny House meets the living and working needs of the target client in a safe, healthy and sensible way.
• The equipment, electronics, appliances and mechanical systems are easily assessable and available for simple maintenance and repair.
• The living spaces flow well and offer easy movement for the target client.
• There is adequate space for storage meeting the target client’s needs.
• Windows and skylights provide sufficient daylighting and the interior and exterior light fixtures provide effective lighting and ambience.
• Multifunctional components and furniture are easily transformed and likely to be used.[/learn_more]
The Tiny House has elemental, creative and interesting designs providing solutions to the challenges of a small living footprint. [learn_more caption=”More about Innovation Criteria”] • The Tiny House reflects an intention of quality, thoughtful details and architectural implementation.
• The Tiny House offers creative ways to address features of the house and the use of outdoor features.
• The selection of materials reflects appropriateness and creativity.
• The design utilizes space and functional juxtapositioning of design elements.
• The design offers opportunities and flexibility to respond to the possibility of different client preferences.[/learn_more]
The Tiny House design is stimulating, comfortable and offers a sense of beauty and home. [learn_more caption=”More about Aesthetics Criteria”] • The space inside and out of the Tiny House is used attractively.
• The Tiny House components are sensible, orderly and graceful.
• The furnishings and equipment are attractive and fitting for a Tiny House and the target client.
• The landscaping is attractive and reflective of the target client environment.
• The design is compatible for a broad spectrum of population similar to the target client.
• The design is compatible with the aesthetics and environmental characteristics and culture of the target’s final destination.
• The Tiny House displays quality craftsmanship.[/learn_more]