Architecture (300 Points)
A jury of architects will assign an overall score for the design’s conceptual coherenceand implementation by reviewing the team’s drawings, construction specifications and architectural documentation and by performing an on-site evaluation of the Tiny House.
A professional cost estimator shall assign an estimated construction cost to each project based on the team’s document submittals and verified by on-site inspection.
More about Cost Criteria
The Tiny House, built on a trailer must follow design constraints and siting criteria and provide at a minimum a living area, work space, kitchen, full bath and a sleeping area for up to two people.
More about Buildability Criteria
• The Tiny House has few construction complexities reducing the learning curve for mass-production.
• The Tiny House embodies low energy building components or uses prefabrication opportunities to reduce build time, ease of construction or reduction of costs.
• The drawings and construction specifications will enable a contractor to generate an accurate cost estimate and clearly represent the final, built product.
• The Tiny House is made of reliable and sturdy components and built to last.
• The Tiny House is constructed to weather the challenges of the environment of the target client.
• The Tiny House is constructed with the efficient use of materials.
The Tiny House is functional, sensible and displays an appropriate use of space relative to the target client.
More about Functionality Criteria
• The Tiny House is easily setup at the competition and in the final location destination.
• The Tiny House meets the living and working needs of the target client in a safe, healthy and sensible way.
• The equipment, electronics, appliances and mechanical systems are easily assessable and available for simple maintenance and repair.
• The living spaces flow well and offer easy movement for the target client.
• There is adequate space for storage meeting the target client’s needs.
• Windows and skylights provide sufficient daylighting and the interior and exterior light fixtures provide effective lighting and ambience.
• Multifunctional components and furniture are easily transformed and likely to be used.
The Tiny House has elemental, creative and interesting designs providing solutions to the challenges of a small living footprint.
More about Innovation Criteria
• The Tiny House offers creative ways to address features of the house and the use of outdoor features.
• The selection of materials reflects appropriateness and creativity.
• The design utilizes space and functional juxtapositioning of design elements.
• The design offers opportunities and flexibility to respond to the possibility of different client preferences.
The Tiny House design is stimulating, comfortable and offers a sense of beauty and home.
More about Aesthetics Criteria
• The Tiny House components are sensible, orderly and graceful.
• The furnishings and equipment are attractive and fitting for a Tiny House and the target client.
• The landscaping is attractive and reflective of the target client environment.
• The design is compatible for a broad spectrum of population similar to the target client.
• The design is compatible with the aesthetics and environmental characteristics and culture of the target’s final destination.
• The Tiny House displays quality craftsmanship.